Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 1996 08:58:56 EDT
OK - I responded to Clara off-list, but will accede to your
request. Toby Raphael's in-house NPS monograph _Conservation
Guidelines: Design and Fabrication of Exhibits_, Harpers Ferry
Center [1991] says (in "Technical Supplement No. 6, 'Standardized Silica
Gel Containers for Humidity Controlled Cases'"), "Estimated gel
quantity per cubic foot of case under standard conditions - 1/3
lb. of gel per cubic foot; 9 lbs. gel per cubic yard." My guess
is that "standard conditions" might means such factors as
reasonable T/RH in the surrounding environment. Additionally,
May Cassar's _Environmental Management: Guidelines for Museums
and Galleries_, London and New York: Routledge [1995] at p. 115
says in the box "Calculating the quality [sic] of silica gel
The empirically determined quantity [sic] of silica gel
required to buffer ambient RH is 20 kilograms per cubic metre
of display case volume. The effectiveness and duration of a
microclimate using a buffer material are determined by a number
of factors brought together in the formula: T=4 (M x B)/N days,
where T is the half-life of the case, M is the specific
moisture reservoir per cubic metre of case volume, and N is the
number of air changes per day."
As they used to remark about Junior Samples on the old TV
program _Hee Haw_, "If it was easy, anybody could do it."
According to Hank Burchard: