From:
Christine Mouw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 1996 12:10:55 -0400
On a related topic, we have been struggling for some time to find an
effective numbering system for borrowed objects in our temporary
exhibits.  We sometimes borrow hundreds of objects from many
different lenders, but even with detailed lists and condition reports
distinguishing their objects can be difficult at times.

We use slips of acid-free paper with the lender pencilled on it for
books and magazines and any other objects we can but some items are
more problematic.  For example:  When we mounted an exhibit on the
1920's, we included 6 identical milk bottles (to fill a wire holder)
from 3 different local lenders.  Slips of paper underneath could be
seen and they tend to get lost anyway.  Any suggestions as to how
items like this can be marked?

>>> Terry Beamsley <[log in to unmask]> - 6/19/96 10:32 AM >>>
I agree with HBC, that "permanent" marking is not the best practice,
but sometimes a paper tag can be problematic as well (tearing,
fading, visibility on displayed items).  We number our vehicles in
the same fashion as many other objects in our collection - by
painting the number using appropriate reversible media (usually a
layer of soluvar and white ink) in a consistent location (left rear
taillight area for automobiles, on the metal mounting ring not the
plastic light cover; lower left body for horse drawn vehicles).
 Now, assigning the number itself is another question - particularly
vis a vis parts, an issue that we're actively discussing in
procedures meetings here.

Terry Beamsley
(formerly Terry Grose of the Strecker Museum Complex, Baylor U.)
Registrar
Henry Ford Museum & Greenfield Village
313/271-1620 x 575