From:
Lonn Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 1996 08:48:55 -0400
One of the best articles I know of on exhibit design is Barbara Fahs
Charles, "Exhibit as (Art) Form," in Jo Blatti's _Past Meets Present:
Essays  about Historic Interpretation and Public Audiences_
(Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1987) now, sadly, out of
print. You might also want to look at Ivan Karp and Stephen Lavine's
_Exhibiting Cultures: The Poetics and Politics of Museum Display_
(Wahington, DC: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1991), which is a group of
essays about some of the philosophical issues raised by museum
exhibits. I use both in an undergraduate course on material culture and
museum exhibitions that I teach at The Colorado College. -Lonn Taylor,
National Museum of American History ([log in to unmask])