From:
Stephen Nowlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 1996 13:18:26 -0800
>Greetings,
>
>I am interested in finding out information on university/college
>museum governance, as in to whom the director (or other chief executive)
>reports, the relationship with the board of trustees or directors, and
>the role of advisory, curatorial, collections, fundraising committees
>within the organizational structure.  I'd appreciate leads on where
>these things might be documented, and/or samples of documents describing
>the roles and functions of specific committees and staff members.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Carol Wood
>Assistant to the Dean
>NYS College of Ceramics
>Alfred University
>Alfred, NY 14802
>607-871-2243
>607-871-2344 (fax)

Carol-

As Art Center College's Williamson Gallery director I report to the college
president, although I may end up reporting to a soon-to-be-appointed
provost (senior vice-president).

Although the Williamson Gallery is named for one of our trustees, they as a
group have nothing to do with its operation or programming.  In addition
the Williamson Gallery has no formal governing or advisory committees
comprised of faculty.  I proactively engage members of the faculty and
department chairs in the process of selecting exhibits and advising me, and
I try to make sure the program relates well to the various college
constituencies.

I am hoping that if my reporting changes to the provost that this structure
-- or lack of structure, if you will -- prevails.  Once committees are
formed they inevitably become political, and persons given a formal
advisory role get very upset if their advise is not taken.  On the other
hand, if I initiate asking faculty for advice, it seems to be more freely
given -- without any hysterical consequences for using or not using the
advice.  It is healthier to have an autonomous director who is sincerely
responsive to various factions yet accountable to a single master.

Less governance in a museum is better.  Do I sound like a Republican?
Yikes -- I'm not.  But it's a weird kind of psychology that goes on when
committees are formed.  If you bring a committee of cooks into the kitchen,
the meal can turn into a bland pastiche of everyone's taste.

Stephen Nowlin
Vice President, Director, Williamson Gallery
Art Center College of Design
1700 Lida Street
Pasadena, CA 91103 USA (818)396-2397  fax (818)405-9104 [log in to unmask]
Williamson Gallery website:
http://www.artcenter.edu/exhibit/williamson.html