From:
Edward Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 1996 12:30:49 -0400
The original poster asked for information on *ready-made* historic
clothing/costuming of the late 19th/early 20th century.  I think you'll be
out of luck there.  In Western-wear the retro look is in (a little bit) so
there are some commerical purveyors at high prices.  But generally there is
simply not enough market demand (except perhaps in theatrical circles) to
keep full ranges of sizes and styles on hand.

The Historic Clothing Committee of ALHFAM specializes in costuming for
living history programming and could be a source of contact for contract
sewing - which is how I think you'll need to go.  The newsletter editor,
Karen Mullian, is available through e-mail at: [log in to unmask]  I also
have the address and phone of the committee chair.  (E-mail me.)

Membership in the Historic Clothing Committee is available to any member of
ALHFAM.  For information on the web go to the following URL:
http://www.mystic.org/alhfam

The Replica Resource List (likewise from ALHFAM) may be of use to you as well.

Edward

Edward Baker
Supervisor of Interpretation
Mystic Seaport Museum