Greg Spurgeon <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 14 Aug 1996 11:23:59 -0400
I agree with Jean-Paul's response to Henry.  We are all aware - whatever
language we work in - that language in our written presentations differs
from spoken language (usually it is somewhat more formal, structured,
and grammatical).

Here at the National Gallery of Canada all of our publications, labels,
panels, signage, pamphlets, films, videos, CD-ROMs, ads and promotional
materials, everything in fact, is produced in French and English (labels
in our Inuit galleries are in English, French, and Inuktitut!!!).  The key
elements are a staff familiar with both English and French working with
professional editors and translators familiar with our subject matter and
cognizant of the fluid interface between formal language and popular
usage.

We seldom run into difficulties with our approach to bilingualism, and in
the rare instances when we do, we try to be responsive to feedback from
our audiences.

Greg Spurgeon
National Gallery of Canada
Ottawa, Ontario