From:
Andy Finch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 1996 09:48:38 -0400
We have a new staffer at AAM who will be handling telecom issues,
including the Communications Decency Act.  His name is Barry Szczesny
(pronounced says-knee) and he will have an e-mail account very shortly.

He advises me that the next step is Supreme Court review, assuming that
the Justice Department wants to appeal.  Justice hasn't decided yet, but
my guess is that they will appeal, seeing as it's an election year and
President Clinton said he thinks the government should be able to "help"
parents guard their children.  So the Supreme Court could hear the case
as early as the fall (but we might not hear the decision for a while
after that).

General request to museum-l:  does anyone know of museums (or museum
personnel) that have been prosecuted (or threatened with prosecution)
with respect to collection items that could be considered pornographic?
The only case I know of is the one in Cincinnati five or six years ago
involving Mapplethorpe photographs of children.

Andy Finch
AAM Government Affairs