From:
Silver City Museum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 1996 17:32:39 -0600
On Sep. 6, 1999:
>While on the subject of ethics, I would like to pose a question. I am not an
>expert in the AAM Code of Ethics, but - When is it ever acceptable for a
>donation (previously given) to be auctioned off to raise money for a museum,
>only to be bought at auction by the original donor and redonated. This came
>up in a discussion amongst a group of museum professionals and it occurred to
>me that if it was ethical or legal, art museums and Rembrandt owners would be
>making a killing! Any feedback?
>
>- Adrienne

Under two circumstance could an previously given object be auctioned off to
raise money for a museum:

1. It was given with the clear and documented understanding that it was
meant to be used  for fundraising purposes, and that the donor is legally
empowered to transfer clear title to the museum, etc. (sounds like a lot of
work for small items, but you need something to back you up when a bidder
sees the dress her Momma promised her up on the block & starts screaming).
In this case, if the buyer decides to donate it back to the museum for the
next fundraising auction, no problem.

2. Auctioning is a board approved method of deaccessioning Collection items.
It is assumed that a lengthy & formal procedure identified it as
inappropriate for Collections status.  You certainly wouldn't want it back
in the Collections!  As for reselling it at a fundraising auction, I would
suggest they donate it to some other non-profit group, or better yet, give cash.

In both cases, be prepared for a PR backlash from "selling off the Museum"

Margaret Lyman
Curator of Collections
Silver City Museum
SCMuseum@zianet