Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 1996 14:43:53 EST
   On October 9, 1996, at 6:00 PM The Museums Council of New York is
   having a meeting at New York's wonderful and under-visited Audobon
   Terrace.  The host institutions are The American Academy of Arts and
   Letters, The American Numismatic Society, and The Hispanic Society of
   America.

   Audobon Terrace is on Broadway between 155 and 156th streets. Travel
   Directions are below.

   6:00 Cocktails and tour of The Hispanic Society by Marcus Burke,
   Curator of Painting and Drawings, featuring the Society's galleries of
   19th and early 20th Century Spanish paintings.  Founded in 1904, the
   Society provides a free public museum and a world-renowned research
   library representing the culture of Hispanic peoples.

   6:30 Tour of the American Numismatic Society exhibition: "American
   Numismatic Design 1892-1922," by Alan M. Stahl Curator of Medieval
   Coins and Medals [I know that's eccentric, as the exhibition is
   distinctly not medieval, but I'm sure there's a reason.." (es)]. An
   international center for the exhibition, preservation, and study of
   coins, medals, and paper money, the museum houses nearly one million
   objects and has the world's most comprehensive library of numismatic
   literature.

   7:00 Dinner in the Library of the American Academy of Arts and
   Letters, followed by a tour of the building by Virginia Dajani,
   Executive Director.  The American Academy is an honorary membership
   organization limited to 250 preeminent American writers, composers,
   painters, sculptors, and architects.  Its function is to foster the
   arts through an annual program of awards and works of art to museums
   nationwide.

   Travel information:  Audobon Terrace is located on Broadway between
   155th and 156th streets.  #1 Subway to 157th Street. Car: Street
   parking is difficult, but there is a Kinney parking lot on 710 West
   153rd Street between Riverside and Broadway.  A bus will be leaving
   from the Metropolitan Museum of Art at 5:15, returning around 8:15pm.
   Reservations are required, calle Amy Fischetti at (718)347-3276.

   Please send a check in advance of the meeting made out to The Museums
   Council of New York for $25 for each person attending.  Add $5 for
   each bus reservation.  Mail to:

   Amy Fischetti,  Queens County Farm Museum, 73-50 Little Neck Parkway,
   Floral Park, NY 11004.

   If your check will not arrive in time please
   call Amy at (718) 347-3276.  If you make a reservation by phone and do
   not attend, you must still reimburse the Council.

   Please include a note with your name, and the institution that you
   represent.

   The Museums Council of New York is an informal membership
   association that was founded in 1930, and represents virtually all of
   New York City's not-for-profit museums.  We gather several times a
   year to visit New York's museums -- both well-known and obscure -- and
   have curator's tours, directors tours, and dinner.  It is a wonderful
   opportunity to meet your colleagues in a casual but focused setting.
   Participants include all levels and aspects of the museum profession,
   including board members and directors, development, marketing,
   curatorial, educational, business, and operations staff.

   Until recently, participation has been limited to those affiliated
   with member institutions.  We have decided, on a trial basis, to open
   the meetings to people working in allied professions (from executive
   recruiters to exhibition designers); Museums Studies and Arts
   Administration students; and museum staff from other cities.

   These meetings are great, and I hope that you will join us.

   Please feel free to contact me by email, or Amy by phone if you have
   any questions.

   Eric Siegel
   Chairman,
   The Museums Council of New York