From:
Hank Burchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 1996 19:17:04 -0400
On Fri, 2 Aug 1996, William H. Stirrat wrote:

> >Speaking of museum restaurants reflecting exhibits - is anyone else
> >bothered by eating meat at a zoo, seafood at an aquarium, or even salad
> >at botanical gardens?
>
> Oh, I don't know.  I like to get a true taste of a particular museum's
> collections, don't you?

    Hear, hear. One of my favorite newspaper assignments was to cover the
dinners held at the National Zoo by the Anteaters Club, whose members did
in fact occasionally eat ants, along with many another creeping, crawling
or slithering thing, not to mention lions and tigers and bears, O my!

    Some of the animals were culls from the zoo's collection and others
were bagged by members who hunted. Among the delicacies I particularly
enjoyed were giraffe, wildebeest, elephant and lion.

    The club faded away as the zoo establishment, and the local press,
came to be dominated by city kids who have managed to deny the realities
of the food chain. Now I have to shoot my own game.

     Hank Burchard * <[log in to unmask]> * Washington DC | USA