From:
Peter van Mensch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 1996 08:34:28 +0100
>On 10.06.1996 Emanuel Andrade asked:
>>I wonder what would be the best type of manekins for a costume museum? The
>>normal comercial shop manekim would be acceptable...
>
>If my memory serves me properly there has been a respective study published
>in a Reinwardt Academy paper some years ago.
>Peter, in case you read this message, could you verify it?
>Greetings,
>Fritz

Yes, Fritz is right, students of our museum studies course did some
evaluation of the use of mannequins in the National Museum of Anthropology,
Leiden (in 1982 !). This study was published, but in Dutch.

The students tested four types. The results were not very surprising. Most
museum visitors preferred a more or less realistic mannequin. A silhouette
type of mannequin was not appreciated, and a 'mannequin' based on bar-iron
was rejected. Children showed a clear preference of a detailed and
expressive, naturalistic face, but older people tended to prefer a more
neutral face. They wanted something left for phantasy and explained that
naturalistic faces lead away from enjoying the clothes.

Peter van Mensch
lecturer of theoretical museology and museum ethics
Reinwardt Academie
Amsterdam