From:
Luis Nadeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Sep 1996 13:22:34 +0300
In article <[log in to unmask]>, "Mr. Homman"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I'm looking for New Yorkers (or tourists) who have been to the Museum
> of Modern Art recently that enjoyed the exhibit in the basement. I was
> just in New York on business and thoroughly enjoyed it. I believe it
> is called "PRINT." I managed to lose the newspaper handout and can't
> remember the names of some of the artists. Please respond if you also
> thought this was an excellent exhibit.

Funny you ask. There has been a discussion lately on the Alt-photo list
regarding this exhibit:
------
>During a recent visit to NYC I saw an exhibit at MOMA entitled
>"Thinking Print," a show featuring prints made by contemporary artists
>from 1980-1995.
>
>In a publication that accompanied the show, the print is defined as
>"...a print is a work of art usually created on paper through the use
>of a printing press."  The publication features printing methods such
>as woodcut, etching, lithograph, mezzotint and linoleum cut.
>
>I was intrigued to find a series of Van Dyke brown prints (from
>negatives) included in the exhibit.  I had always thought that
>processes such as Van Dyke brown or cyanotype were considered to be
>photographs, not prints.
>
>Any thoughts on this subject?
>
>Shauna
------

It appears that MOMA made a faux-pas by not realizing that Vandyke prints
are photographs...

Luis Nadeau
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
http://www.mi.net/dialin/awef6t/