Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Luis Nadeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Aug 1996 20:45:46 +0300
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
(Denise&Kevin) wrote:

> I've been in the midst of a heated debate with myself about whether or
> not to pursue a PhD in American Studies. I am committed to a career in
> museums, and I am currently working as the curator of a small
> historical society.  As the field gets more and more competitive -- and
> jobs become more and more specialized -- I wonder if another degree
> would make me more or less marketable.  (Needless to say, I am not
> foolish enough to believe a PhD would increase my salary!)
>
> I'm happy to share my personal "pro" and "con" list with anyone willing
> to serve as a "Virtual Mentor."
>
> I'd appreciate hearing from folks who have decided to pursue a PhD as
> well as folks who have decided against it.

I have decided against it so far, for monetary reasons. In my next
incarnation however, I intend to go for one, in the field of
"Grantology";-)

I think that the large majority of those who undertake graduate studies do
so because they feel they have to, in order to make a decent living.
Nothing really wrong with that except that this attitude leaves us with a
very large number of people with fancy degrees on their walls but not
particularly competent. If I had made a dollar everytime I heard people
say they didn't care about the course but they needed the credit...

I know it is a cliche, but nothing significant has ever been achieved
without a great deal of enthusiasm.

Between a group of PhDs and a group of people who have researched and
written over the years a book or two real significance, I'll go the latter
group as I think, on average, their contribution and qualifications are
much more significant.

Just my two cents...

Luis Nadeau
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada