Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 1996 15:48:59 -0400
From:
Ellen Z Hazen <[log in to unmask]>
To: Museum discussion list <[log in to unmask]>
Wanted:

Paintings by William Edward Norton for a prospective loan exhibition of
his work.

Marine painter William Edward Norton (1843-1916), a sometime pupil of the
American impressionist George Innes, reputedly studied anatomy at the
Harvard Medical School, served before the mast for several years at sea,
and later had studios at London and Boston.

The KWM holds four of his paintings.  Should we be able to gather a
significant number of representative Norton paintings from museums and
private collections, we hope to mount the first-ever exhibition of his
work.

If you have or know of the whereabouts of any paintings, drawings,
sketches, photographs, or other materials by or pertaining to William
Edward Norton, please contact us: either by writing to The Kendall Whaling
Museum, P. O. Box 297, Sharon, MA 02067 USA; or my telephoning the
Director at (617) 784-5642.

Communications will be held in the strictest confidence, if you wish.
We'd like to know the whereabouts of Norton paintings even if they're
unavailable for loan.

Thanks.

Ellen Z. Hazen, Special Projects Manager
Kendall Whaling Museum
27 Everett Street                                   phone: (617) 784-5642
P. O. Box 297                                         fax: (617) 793-0184
Sharon, MA 02067 USA                                email: [log in to unmask]