Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Suzanne Quigley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 1996 17:01:02 -0500
Frank,

We have exactly the same situation at the Guggenheim uptown.  We have a
sign in the elevator that tells which buttons to push for which floors.  It
goes so far as to name the exhibitions on each floor, indicate which floors
are museum offices, which floor is the exit (2 strangely enough), etc.

The problem has a simple reason, people don't read.   One answer is to put
in an elevator operator (in one of our elevators we actually do this - it's
staffed by security on an hourly rotation).

The only other option is to key off those floors which the public is not
invited to and give the staff keys to the floors they may access.  Makes it
hard, though, if you have visitors to the administrative floors and they
are allowed to go up by themselves.

Conversely, its nice to be able to lock off floors to unauthorized staff
when installations are in progress in the gallery levels.

Suzanne

Suzanne Quigley
Head Registrar, Collections and Exhibitions
Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
1071 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10128
212 423 3568