From:
Mark Vang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 1996 11:58:10 UT
Hi Arthur,

I am currently working with a client to do exactly what you are asking about.
My company, Freya Ventures is developing an interactive touch-screen computer
kiosk to be used in a new exhibit which takes the information from the
collections database and makes it available to the public so that they can
obtain information on the objects on display.  Part of this project includes
digitially photographing about 4000 objects for this database.  The actual
collections database is being ported from an AS-400 format to be readable on a
PC (Access database).

The museum also wants to make a CD-ROM catalog of the exhibit which they will
sell for about $20.00-$30.00.  My company will produce a special "home
version" of the exhibit software which is already under development.  For this
project, we will be mastering the CD-ROM in house.  The equipment to do this
including several blank disks will cost less than $900.00.  However, you can
supply a properly formatted backup tape of the information, directory
structure and files to the CD-ROM production compaly to have them make the
master disk as well.   The company I will be using for this project is
Corporate Disk in Chicago (800) 634-3475.  Check the advertisers section in
the Exhibitionist, Museum News, etc. and you will probably see other companies
listed... I would give you a couple, but I seem to have lost my entire stack
of museum publications at the moment.

This CD-ROM will probably be sold in the museum gift shop, though this is a
rather large organization so they may distribute it in other ways as well.
Currently we are focusing on providing an exhibit catalog which will only have
information on the exhibit and the objects in it, but I have proposed that
they offer additional information on the facility on the CD-ROM, perhaps as
part of a "virtual" tour.  There will also be a special version of this disk
which will be distributed during the opening of the exhibit.

That's all for now.  If you are interested, I will keep you posted on the
project and what works and what doesn't.  I am still waiting for a revised
quote from Corporate Disk and if you like I will forward the duplication costs
to you for reference.

Of course, if you decide not to tackle this yourself, you know who to call!

Mark C. Vang
Freya Ventures
2100 Mediterranean Ave. Suite 15
Virginia Beach, VA 23451
(757) 340-0099
* Interactive touch-screen computer exhibits for museums and science centers. *