From:
Robert MacKimmie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 11:51:12 -0700
Rights and Reproduction ... some common sense information...

At our institution (we are a private non-profit) we have researched
the fees charged by similar institutions (state supported archives
can charge less because their infrastructure [use to be] is
supported.

We have a sliding scale for everybody and every use.

First is:  Profit/Non-Profit. Non-Profit is usually half the Profit
fee.

Then a sliding scale for size of the edition/number of items
distributed.

1-5,000 items published
5,000-10,000 items published
10,000-25,000 items published
25,000 and above items published

Our fees range from a $25 low to a $135 high, with special prices
applying to special uses like book jackets, etc.

Commercial broadcast and corporated promotional uses have specific
fees also.

Check around with similar institutions for pertinent prices, but
common sense and other persons groundwork should be brought into
play.

Sorry to have not included this logical information in my first
posting...

Robert MacKimmie
California Historical Society, San Francisco