From:
Robert Aston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 1996 09:35:53 -0700
I think we must all look to ourselves to answer the question of time spent
on viewing exhibit labels, and the exhibits themselves.  If one is deeply
interested in an object, or maybe just part of it, more time will be taken
finding out about it, ie. reading the label.  Also, one must consider, how
fast one reads, and whether the reader is skimming, or not.

Personally, if something interests me, I will spend a great deal of time
looking at it, and readining the label.  For something in passing, I may
spend only 3.1 seconds, looking at the object, and then skim through the
labeling.

With all the variences in society - people who read, those that don't, or
can't - and indivdual tastes, I do not believe this to be easily addressed.
We must look at ourselves, and add in to the equation, the segment of the
population you are targeting most.

Just a rambling thought,

Robyn