Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Christine Mouw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 1996 14:00:35 -0400
>>> Dana D. Buck <[log in to unmask]> - 5/29/96 8:25 AM >>>

Hi, Adrienne--

I've been having them made at a local typesetter. . .you just need to
provide them with clean black and white copy--you can also do small
drawings and solarized photos, as long as it's strictly black and
white--no greyscale. They rub on just like Letraset, Presstype, etc.
and hold up pretty will if not touched. We use them sometimes inside
cases, and, if you do a reverse, they can be applied on the inside of
a plex lid or mount--pretty effective. Last time I bought them our guy
was charging about $23 an 8.5 x 11" sheet, but it may be cheaper in
your area. Another option is laser-cut vinyl, which holds up better,
but is thicker and more expensive to fabricate. Not good for labels,
but works great for titles.
Good luck!

Dana Buck
Exhibits Preparator
Kelsey Museum of Archaeology

--------------------------------

Museum-l label makers:

This is an interesting process that I'm not sure I understand.  Are
these letters colored or special in some way?  I've used transfer
letters and I agree that they're hard to work with.  If they came
pre-printed on a whole sheet, I can see it would be easier, but then
I guess I'd have to ask "why?"

IMHO, at $23 a page you could pay for a laser printer in no time,
have no transferring to do, and be able to use the printer for other
projects as well.  In fact, for about $350 you can even buy a color
ink jet printer that does a really nice job.  Granted, you can't
print on sintra or plex, but you can always resort to vinyl for that.

I've been using the label-making process that Helen Glazer described
for a few years (but using 3-M mounting adhesive instead of the messy
spray, and gator board for large pieces to prevent warping) and it's
always worked out well.

Christine Mouw
Assistant Curator
Herbert Hoover Presidential Library-Museum