From:
Lee Gayman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 1996 17:40:19 +0000
Adrienne DeArmas wrote:

> Excellent point! I was engaging in idealistic musing. I wonder, too,
> if people don't mind giving an admission fee to a small museum as
> opposed to being "charged" admission at the Met.
>
> - Adrienne

I would question the use of the word "charge" when referring to the
admission price of the Metropolitan.  As I was reading this
discussion, I was thinking of the value of a policy such as the Met's,
which offers a suggested admission price, which (I would guess) most
people are quite happy to pay, but which I, as a poor student who
would like to give more, often times can't. I know that they do not
enforce the hefty admission amount ($7 for adults, $3 something for
students) and many times when I haven't had the money to put up the
full price I have given what I could, be it a dollar or two, or (as
one art professor told my art history class), a nickel or two.  The
point is that people are given the option to make a donation which
they are able to afford, but at the same time, the museum is able to
encourage those who can afford the price and are willing to, to do so.

I would be interested in hearing feedback from museums which have a
suggested price, and on how the public responds to this policy, as
well as the effectiveness of this policy compared to say a donation
box.

Jennifer Gayman