From:
Anne Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 1996 09:10:14 -0400
JEN writes:
>How about souls?
>Does someone else have this feeling about things?

Yes, at the risk of scandalizing my fundamentalist southern friends
I will say that many museum objects have souls, and they whisper
or cry out to you or try to frighten you; just looking at some objects
can be a life-changing experience.  Isn't this, too, part of the reason
we are in this? And why we are so desperately trying to find ways
of attuning our audiences to the souls of these things and therefore
to the souls and stories of those who made them, be they intentional
works of art or incidentally works of art, such as a set of African
blacksmith's tools I recently rehoused. Rough, crude, utilitarian,
yet beautiful with an unassuming grace of form that makes you damn
the gloves.

Anne
Anne Lane
Curatorial Assistant
Museum of York County
4621 Mt. Gallant Road
Rock Hill, SC  29732-9905
803-329-2121 ext 122  *  [log in to unmask]