From:
David Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 1996 10:01:53 +0100
Oxfordshire Museums Service operated a Museums Loans service for many
years - loaning themed boxes of museum objects, replicas and resources
to schools. Since 1990 they began a series of Reminiscence boxes,
intended to be used in Old People's Homes on themes such as WWII, '30's
fashion, Shopping etc. More recently the idea was expanded to include
'Flying Boxes' of objects with background resource material that were
sent to libraries and other venues in teh County. The most recent
development was a poster campaign in association with a local bus
company.

For any more information contact Bill Dickins at Oxfordshire Museums. He
is on the Web (in the last couple of weeks) but may not be on Museum-L
yet - email to [log in to unmask]

In article <[log in to unmask]>,
[log in to unmask] writes
>Since 1993 the Australian War Memorial has been operating an outreach
>program for schools and non-profit groups.  The program consists of a
>series of boxes containing artefacts, explanatory notes, videos, photos and
>so on.  We call this project MUSEUM-IN-A-BOX.
>
>Does anyone know of other similar projects?  I would be interested in
>learning about any MUSEUM-IN-A-***s, what they contain, how they are
>distributed and how long they have been in operation.
>
>Judith Crabb
>Education Officer
>Australian War Memorial
>GPO Box 345
>Canberra  ACT  2615

David Dawson                    email: [log in to unmask]
Outreach Manager, Museum Documentation Association
67 Spring Street, Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, OX7 5NN : telephone 01608
645576
Main Office:- MDA, 347 Cherry Hinton Road, Cambridge CB1 4DH UK
tel: (+44) 1223 518126  fax: (+44) 1223 213575
find out more about MDA at
http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/archive/other/museums/mda/