From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 17:25:12 -0400
Actually it is spelled "Indiana Jones"  although an interesting derivation
could be construed out of it "Diana Jones", a female version of the intrepid
1930's archaeologist would be entertaining...it was already attempted with
the character "Vasch" who was featured in several "Star Trek- Next
Generation" episodes and in one "DS-9" episode.

Anyway, I just wanted to remind the list, all humor aside, that science, like
all aspects of culture, is relative.  The Indiana Jones stories are set in
the 1930's, an era when archaeology was not the science which is pursued
today.  Back in that period archaeology was conducted as  "Expeditions",
usually sponsored by large Musuems and Universities (or wealthy patrons), to
acquire "Treasures" to build great collections and exhibitions.

One only has to remember the impact of Henrich Schleiman and his wife adorned
with the "Jewels of Troy", the  discovery of Machu Piccu and the lost
treasures of the Incas, or  Howard Carter's discovery of the "Treasures" of
Tututkamen's Tomb which all fired the popular imagination about archaeology,
even to this day.  The extent of scientific documentation and analysis ran
from bieng virtually nil to being exquisite (have you seen those wonderful
watercolours drawn by Carter?)

The unique difference about the Indiana Jones movies is that they meld the
danger, action, and romance genres of the seriel pulps with that of the "Lost
Treasures" appeal of archaeology.   Not only do we have a scholar/treasure
hunter, but he now shoots innumerable bad guys, escapes from impossible
situations, and gets the girl (with niffty special-effects too!)...a perfect
1980's formula for popular entertainment.

Real archaeology is not as boring as some say, nor is it as romantic as
others think (unless you really, really like bugs & dirt).  I like to think
of it as the delicate art of balancing  long stretches of hard work
interrupted by unanticipated discoveries which usually change the working
hypotheisis into tatters of it's former self.  (Excavators love to find
"meaning" from Day One! ;~)