From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 1996 09:01:09 EST
   No, David, I was neither the person asking about price tags, nor was I
   kidding about the prohibition on selling paintings.  There are many
   not-for-profit galleries in NYC which do sell work.  I was kind of
   musing out loud about the distinction between these galleries and
   museums proper.  We have already dispatched the idea that the
   definition of museums must include the holding of collections (see
   extremely polite flame wars in re: science museums and collections
   between Alan Friedman and Bob McDonald in Curator Magazine).  So how
   is a non-profit gallery, which sells work, legally distinct from a
   museum as far as the latter's ability to sell work?

   Someone posted very clearly about the "market making" power of
   museums, which zeroes in on the ethical dilemna or museums' selling
   work, but I am interested in hearing any insight about the legal
   strictures.

   Eric Siegel