Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 1996 18:40:34 -0500
In a message dated 96-03-15 10:49:34 EST, [log in to unmask] (Kathrine L
Walker) writes about the new gallery in Wichita at their art museum.  This
gallery is not, however, a children's gallery but rather a discovery zone for
children and adults.  From a recent discussion with their director Inez
Wollins, she made some pertinent points regarding the need to move beyond the
need to make a gallery specifically for children and think about the entire
museum experience in the philosophy, design and operations of such a space.
 Obviously I'm talking to the choir and the difference is a fine point, but
one which I know we are opting to follow with our designer Michael Sand in
the redesign of our space called Transformations.  It will be hard, but we
are going to attempt to stop calling it a children's gallery.  Come see for
yourself after mid-June... I know you will enjoy the phenomena of art.

Tom Butler
Columbus (GA) Museum