From:
Claire Pillsbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 1996 10:10:37 -0800
  One
>          plan we have is to use interpretive maps which are tactile
>          or otherwise interactive.  I have seen pictures of the maps
>          used in the Chicago Field Museum.  Does anyone else know of
>          great maps out there?

Can you tell us what is special about the maps at the Chicago Field Museum?
I haven't seen or heard anything about them.

Some engaging map methods I know of follow:

1) At Science Museum of Minnesota they have a map of  the state studded
with small lens viewers that show you slide images of the birds you would
find in particular areas.  I think these were made of simple slide viewers
which are fairly inexpensive and then a large light table behind the whole
thing.  You could also push a button (adjacent to the viewing eyepiece I
think) to hear the bird call.

2) A number of science centers have a  globe-of-the-world switchboard for
languages of the world.  You can plug in or pick up a head set to hear the
language spoken in that part of the world.  Usually along the lines of
"Hello. My name is ______.. . " Plug into France and you hear "Bonjour! Je
m'appelle Bernard. . . "
This may be relevant to your project because of all the different languages
spoken in Africa.

3) I have heard of another auditory technique where you place small chip
recorded devices and speakers directly behind a hard laminated map.  They
run constantly emitting their sounds over and over again but at low volume.
The visitor game is to find the sounds with aid of  a cup shaped device
that will amplify enough so they can hear it.  Sorry my understanding of
this is a bit vague so it would require a little prototyping.

Claire Pillsbury
Exhibit Developer
Tech Museum of Innovation; San Jose, CA 95113
PH 408-279-7136,        FAX 408-279-7197