Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 1996 17:17:02 -0400
    I've been following the line about problems with clientele for some
days now, and simply wish to add the following.  When we do school tours
at our museum, each docent begins with his/her group by saying "We have
some rules at our museum.  What do you think they are?"  Regardless of
age group, sex, economic background or anything else, these kids will
tell you every "don't" that you ever thought of and many you haven't.
We ask this question of the students so we will not have to begin with
negative vibes, since the kids provide all the negative info for each
other to hear.  We then add the following:  "You forgot the most important
rule of all - "ask every question you can think of and make sure we don't
move on unless your question is answered."  My point is not to say how
smart (or devious) we are, but to suggest that almost every breathing
human in our part of the world understands what appropriate behavior
in a museum is.  And if people are made aware of this as children, they
in a museum is.  And if people are made aware of this as children, they
Chuck Watkins
The Appalachian Cultural Museum  [log in to unmask]