From:
Jennifer Nuske <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 1996 09:27:49 +1100
We have been just started working with Inmagic DB/Textworks and are
currently working out the kinks. Some of the problems are to do with the
way our form is set up but others are not going to be rectified as
easily. For instance....
You must check to see if the particular registration number has been
used before, I know a wise thing to do anyway, because its lack of idiot
proofing means it is possible to simply write another record with the
same number. Result: search by number means two records are retrieved.

Our registration system uses a point format. For example a teapot would
be 1.1 and its lid would be 1.2 If you search for 1 then no records are
retrieved.

A similar problem occurs with supplementary files. Sometimes a few items
with different registration numbers are given the same file. For example
123.1 - 128.5 Unless it is entered exactly as you put in the entry field
you don't retrieve it when making a query.

Of course there is the wild card option but some of these problems could
have been worked out to the advantage of the researcher who is
unfamiliar with your system's idiosyncrasies.

Jennifer
--
Jennifer Nuske
Deakin University,