From:
Jennifer Nuske <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 1996 06:54:38 +1100
Due to crashes and what not I do not know just where this message went
so I have sent it again. My apologies if you are reading this for the
second time...

Yesterday I heard an interesting talk, given by someone from a large
museum, about their museum's re-development and reconceptualisation.

In the past the large museum had been discipline based with a natural
science, social history department and so on. The new museum will,
instead, be project based with exhibitions that are mostly narrative
based. A museum projects group will initiate a project and project needs
will be met by a resources group. While there will be some movement
between the two groups it was my understanding that previous
departmental staff, including curators, will largely be utilised as the
resource group. While I don't really mean to say that there will be 'no
curators' it is a radical shift in museum operations with many pros and
cons.

Anyone care to comment?

I would like to hear particularly from anyone that has worked in a
museum that had traditional departmental segmentation and been involved
with this kind of change. Please feel free to comment on or off list.

Thanks,
Jennifer
-----
Jennifer Nuske