Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 1996 13:59:51 -0600
To all those industrial historians out there, I hope that you can help me.

I have two batteries with glass cells. Each battery has six cells (12
volt?).They measure approximately 20" long by 12" wide by 12" high. I would
guess they are easily 45-50 lbs each.  The glass cells say 'Exide' on the
sides and lids.  Each battery is in a wooden frame with handles.  The bottom
of the frames have all but rotted away.  Our hazardous materials people are
removing the acidic residues which are still inside the cells.  In so doing,
the guts of each cell is being removed and in most cases a wooden buffer
between the electrodes is disintigrating. Not much can be done about this.
All in all though they're in pretty good shape.

I want to know anything and everything I can learn about these peices.  They
have recently been uncovered in the bowels of the University's underground
catacombs.  Areas where steam and power were connected to the buildings
throughout campus. They're so old, that there is no oral history to go along
with them. Thus my dilema.

Are they rare?
What period do they date to? (I'm guessing turn of the century?)
What were they commonly used for? (besides the obvious)
Does anyone else have some?
Does anyone want one? (I'm considering only one for the collection,
therefore the other one will probably need a good home.)

References? Citations?

TIA to all respondents.

Terry Vidal ([log in to unmask]) (http://www.uni.edu/vidal)
Collections Manager