From:
Mark Vang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 1996 16:41:31 UT
Hi Nicole!

I noticed that your e-mail address originates on AOL.  From your message, it
seems that this web page would be more of a personal effort on your part.  AOL
already has disk space and various tools for constructing a web site
established for your account... so if you were going to use your
[log in to unmask] account for this web site, I could guide you through that
fairly easily.  If you wished to establish a seperate Internet account and
Website for the medical museum, that would require the following steps:

Get a full-access Internet account with a local service provider (SLIP or PPP)
Obtain software for generating HTML documents - your web page(s).
Obtain a copy of Netscape, or other web browser.
A good book on UNIX - I recommend "UNIX Power Tools, ISBN 0-679-79073-X

Writing HTML "code" is fairly easy as most web sites follow a standard
template, you could examine the setup for a site you wish to emulate and then
replace the text and graphics with your own.  Some word processing programs
also allow you to convert a document to a "web page".

One thing you should know... more advanced functions like keeping count of the
number of "hits" you get and having the capability to have e-mail sent from
your web page will require additional programming skills.  Some Internet
service providers will not allow you to do this as it requires the running of
external programs to handle these functions... in other words, you would then
actually be running programs on their machines which means that you could also
mess their stuff up.

If you just want the basic functions, graphics, sound, links... you could just
get an AOL account for the medical museum.  If you want the advanced
functions, choose your service provider carefully... decide what you want to
do with your page first, then go shopping for the best price on an Internet
account.

If this doesn't scare you off, I can give you more detailed information.

Mark C. Vang
Freya Ventures
2100 Mediterranean Ave. Suite 15
Virginia Beach, VA 23451
(804) 340-0099
Interactive touch-screen computer software for museum exhibits.
InfoTerm - daily program/event/exhibit software.
Other stuff dealing with computers...