From:
lisa falk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 1996 10:19:27 -0600
Since I AM in the job market at the moment, I've been reading a lot of
job ads, on the Net, in Aviso, in newspapers...  I've noticed something
new, and a bit annoying--people wanting reference letters as opposed to a
reference list.  If I were hiring, I would not want the generic letter,
I'd like to be able to ask questions of the references.  As the one
applying, the desire for a letter poses a problem--how many times can I
ask my colleagues to write letters on my behalf?  I'm applying for many
different jobs, each with a slightly different emphasis needed in such a
letter--a generic one will not serve me as well.

So I guess this is a plea:  Please don't request reference letters in the
first go around.  If you are serious about a candidate based on their
resume, then it is more appropriate to request a letter (or to make a
telephone call).

Lisa Falk
http://www.wyoming.com/~MERC/falk.html