From:
john pearce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 1996 18:59:47 -0400
On Mon, 13 May 1996, Suzanne Kleisch wrote:

> I am a Museum Studies Graduate Student at Duquesne University.  This
> summer I am interning at the Local History Resource Center at the
> Historical Society of Western PA.
>
> The project I am working on is to develop a guide for smaller history
> museums to establish their own resource library.
>
> Therefore:
>         What books do you feel are indispensible in your own libraries?
>         These could be general like Burcaw's -Introduction to Museum Studies-
>         Or even more specific in subject matter, like -Museum
>         Registration Methods- by Dudley.
>
> If the ever helpful (and opinionated) Museum-L members could drop me a note
> with one or two (maybe three?) publications, perhaps even a few remarks
> about the book's content, it would help me develop a complete and useful guide
.

> My e-mail address is [log in to unmask]
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Suzy
>
> Suzanne Kleisch
> Museum Studies Grad Student
> Duquesne University

Suzy, First of all I think it's very important for local history museums
to be members of any state or local museum organizations (here we have a
city group, a regional group and the statewide Virginia Association of
Museums) as well as both the American Association of Museums and the
American Association for State and Local History.

If possible the museum should have access to e-mail, and should consider
applying for membership in MUSEUM-L and some of the other cultural
history lists (for instance, H-Local, PUBLHIST and HERITAGE).

In the realm of museum "mechanics," an interesting work is the book
originally developed to help people install travelling SITES (Smithsonian
Institution Traveling Exhibition Service) exhibitions, Lothar P.
Witteborg, _Good Show! A Practical Guide for Temporary Exhibitions_, 2nd
ed. (Washington: Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service, [I
have forgotten the date]).

In the realm of understanding local history and its relationships to
museums, the museum should have Carl Kammen, _On Doing Local History:
Reflections on What Local Historians Do, Why and What It Means_
(originally published by the American Association for State and Local
History but now out in a new edition, I believe, by the firm which has
taken over their publications).

In the realm of "thinking about museum concepts," I would recommend:
Gerald George and Cindy Sherrell-Leo, _Starting Right: A Basic Guide to
Museum Planning_ (Nashville, TN:  American Association for State and
Local History, 1986)
and
Warren Leon and Roy Rosenzweig, eds., _History Museums in the United
States: A Critical Assessment_ (Urbana, IL: University of Illinois Press,
1989).

I have a basic bibiliography of about 300 titles which I give my
students, and if you should want such a long list please let me know and
I'll send it to you.

I'd also like to receive a copy of your final report, if that would be
possible.

Good luck!
John
John Pearce
John N. Pearce                               voice/voicemail:  (540) 654-1311
Center for Historic Preservation / James Monroe Museum and Memorial Library
Mary Washington College
1301 College Avenue                          fax:  (540) 654-1068
Fredericksburg, VA 22401-5358
     If new e-mail address <[log in to unmask]> doesn't work,
           use the old one <[log in to unmask]>