Date:
Wed, 8 May 1996 21:29:25 -0400
>I'm having trouble keeping up with newspaper clipping donations in my
museum.
>Traditionally each one has been individually accessioned and no deed of
gift
>issued...

Life is way too short to accession newspaper clippings.  At a historical
society where I worked, we decided that since the state library and the
newspaper company keeps full runs of paper (on microfilm), we didn't need
to compete.

Thus, we photocopied clippings - for preservation and to make them all the
same size (anyone who has juggled crumbling variously sized clippings will
appreciate this) and filed by subject.  We only chose clippings containing
information not easily accessible elsewhere.  For example, accounts of
town meetings are better organized and preserved in the town government
minutes.  Best were stories about individuals, filed by last name.
Everything else: in the recycling bin!  Especially those editions about
the start/end of WWII, etc!

If clippings are accessioned, then you are bound to take the best possible
care of them and you get into snarls about deaccessioning.  They're not
really artifacts - they are important only for their information.

But you should keep scrapbooks intact.

Will Garrison
Historic Deerfield, Inc.