From:
Alexander Meadu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 1996 20:51:56 -0400
armando paz wrote:

> I'm preparing a project to organize a large collection of art in Brazil
> and I was wondering of the possibility of using some new technologies
> to help the task of building the database for this collection. The usual
> way is to use a lot of paper register all pieces and to have a
> photographic file of negatives picturing most of the collection.
> This involves a big cost on maintenance of this files and also some
> concern on the preservation of this photographic material.
>
> So, I'm asking if someone has experience in using:
>
> - Digital Cameras;
> - Computer Databases;
> - CD-ROM for the maintenance of large text databases and photo databases;
> - Connection to the Internet to show some of part of the museum's collection;
> - Release of CD-ROM's that present information about the Museum and it's
>   collection ?
>
> Is this alternative much more expensive than the usual way ?
>
> Thanks in advance for any comment !!
>
> Armando Paz

Yes it will help a lot. But you need some professional help. It will be more
expensive
to set up, but the oportunity to open the collection to the world, including
some
revenue generation through the sale of some multimedia products (if properly
produced)
may in the end pay for the initial cost.
Start with a market assesment. Get some good partners in the Multimedia
industry to
produce a prototype and help you to find some good ($$$) sponsors.

Good Luck!
--
Alexander Meadu
McMichael Canadian Art Collection