From:
Vanda Bushfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 1996 15:20:24 -0600
> The best way to "defend" the
> >practice, as I see it, is to balance it against what a student would pay if
> >he or she took a course in museum practice.
>
> Thank you, Ivy.  Our past interns have had no trouble getting credit for
> their internships and either substituting them for an elective course or
> using them as a a required practicum. Actually saves them money in some cases.
>
> Julia Moore
> Indianapolis Art Center

Unfortunately, from a students point of view, getting credit isn't really
all that helpful.  All that means is that, along with not getting paid
to do the internship, we also have to pay the university to do it.  Also,
many of us are in programs that require an internship or other special
project for graduation.  The program I am in, for example, requires
either a thesis or an internship of at least 6 months.  Six months
is a long time to go without money.  I am one of the lucky ones, i
suppose.  While my parents are not rich by any standards, they have
saved up their whole lives for my college.  But after 5 years of
school and now with a sibling in college, it is starting to put something
of a burden even on my family.  And there are others who are in far worse
shape.  It is really disheartening to me that my internship choices
are going to be seriously limited by the fact that I can only attend
one which offers me a stipend.

        Vanda Bushfield
        Museum Science Grad Student
        Texas Tech University