Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Tom Moritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 10:45:44 -0800
Claudia touches on an aspect of this discussion which I've been ruminating
about... Not so much our sins of commission but rather our sins of ommission
-- what IS the "chilling effect" of yahoo-ism -- seems obvious to me from
the relative paucity of "controversial exhibits" that many (most?) museums are
gun-shy
(I have a related experience in getting permissions to print an Internet
dialog -- about wetlands -- two or three of the discussants declined to
have their Internet messages published citing specifically the general
"climate" in Washington, D.C. and their fears of reprisals or even just
being perceived as environmentally "controversial") -- what IS the cost
to the quality of our public discourse, to our national "culture" of allowing
cynicism and bigotry to intimidate, to control, our political/cultural
expression?

I second the notion of our community organizing for more effective reponses...
(and not just at the national/AAM level...)
Tom
                Tom Moritz  Academy Librarian
                California Academy of Sciences
                Golden Gate Park