From:
Randy Gragg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 1996 01:03:33 -0400
Hi,
I'm working on an article about "Imperial Tombs of China" a show opening this
week at the Portland Art Museum. I'm looking to compile a list of significant
U.S. shows of Chinese art and artifacts drawn from the mainland.

Also, Robert Thorpe, a leading authority, e-mailed me a note saying  the most
significant display to ever leave the mainland occurred in London in the
1930s. Unfortunately, he is unreachable for follow-up questons before my
deadline. Does anyone know any specifics about this exhibition, i.e. a name,
curator, or circumstances?

Finally, am wondering if anyone on this list might have some thoughts on the
politics of these shows. Seems there's been quite a few the last few years,
despite the chilly political climate.

Thanks much,
Randy Gragg
The Oregonian
Portland, Oregon.

I'm on a tight deadline on this -- Tuesday noon. So any help will be much
appreciated.