From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 13:13:16 EST
   A general inquiry (*very* general).

   As a result of discussions on this list, I have been invited by our
   Danish museum colleagues to go speak at a conference in Aarhus, DN on
   various political aspects of American museums.  This, of course,
   proves the adage that "on the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog."

   In an effort to provide value for money, and to go beyond my own
   perspective, I have been doing some research on the topic.  As part of
   this research, I now have an inquiry to make to the Museum-l'ers.

   The general gist of the discussion is, first, to provide a biased
   perspective on American politics.  I don' need no stinkin research for
   that, it will be from the personal point of view of...me, here as a
   NYC Jew-Liberal, etc.

   The second part of the discussion will also not require a whole lot of
   research, as it will be about the typical organizational structure of
   American museums as private not-for-profits, and how that affects the
   public role of museums.

   The third part will be about specific controversies over exhibitions.
   I will probably focus upon the Enola Gay exhibit.  Mike Wallace did
   some in-depth research for his book on the evolution of the exhibit.
   I seem to remember the mention of a web-site.  Before I turn to Lycos,
   does anyone here have a URL?  I would like to include some other
   exhibits that have confronted similar controversies, for example, the
   exhibit that will open next month (?) about the Irish in NYC.  Any
   other examples will be welcome.

   I will then assemble a small international panel, and try to elicit
   the different responses that controversial exhibitions might engender
   in museums in Germany, Denmark, Britain, and the United States. We'll
   see how that works.

   I am interested in reading contrarian analyses of museum
   theory/practice.  I enjoyed Umberto Eco's book, Travels in
   Hyperreality, which treats glancingly of museums.  Any books that have
   proven provocative and pithy, I would be glad to hear about.  Even if
   you *really* disagreed with the books thesis/tone.

   This conference begins on March 20, so I am busily reading away...
   Grateful for any suggestions,

   Eric Siegel