From:
"Robert A. Baron" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 1996 21:47:41 -0500
On Feb 11, 1996 18:41:48, 'ELAINE HEUMANN GURIAN <[log in to unmask]>'
wrote:

>I am interested in finding out what software folks use to keep track of
>snippets they read and might like to use someday in a paper or speech.
>I have a pc with Windows 95. I keep hoping that there will be an easy
>way to take notes even though I don't have a mac.
>
>Please let me know what the software is called, how it is organized,
>where I can get it and if you like it.

There are several  kinds of software that may suit your purpose.  These can
be classified as 1) dedicated academic citation systems such as have been
mentioned already (Procite), 2) Text-bases systems with query engines and
PIMS, and 3) special generic database programs.

Some wordprocessors, such as the still DOS based Nota Bene provide scholars
with advanced tools with which to manage citations and bibliographies.  In
addition, they offer note-taking functions.  For example Nota Bene's ORBIS
is a "textbase," that is a database that does not require explicit
fielding.  Users can create simple or complex boolean queries to find the
information they seek, and can import it into their working Nota Bene
Document.  Nota Bene's IBID is a bibliographic sorting system that
interlocks with the wordprocessor.  If an entry exists in IBID you can
enter a footnote citation into the text and have it output in the correct
form at print time.  It also composes bibliographies for papers.

Orbis is a dedicated program that has a number of generic cousins.  One of
the most interesting of these is the free-form textbase AskSam.  AskSam is
too sophisticated to describe in several words, but essentially it permits
recording and (in the newest version), indexing of each word in a document.
 In addition users can define specific fields that can be output in a form
and sorted.  Unlike traditional databases, fields do not have to be arrayed
in any order or place on the page, they only need to be introduced by
predefined keywords.  For instance, I defined the colon (:) as the symbol
that introduces fields. Next I defined "from:" "to:" and all the other
terms that appear in the header of e-mail documents as fields.  I import
selected e-mail messages into an AskSam database and presto I have an
indexed fielded textbase.  You can search for fielded and/or unfielded
terms, including proximity searches and wild-card searches.  I am just an
amateur AskSam user (I never read the manual), but obtain good use of it.
One of its more interesting features is its import filters.  You can import
textfiles from major wordprocessors and retain all formatting and display
criteria, including fonts.  I often use the html filter for importing saved
webpages.  By defining http: as a field, I can run a report that finds and
lists all saved web URLs.  There are also hypertext like nodes that can be
established and you can hypertext jump among databases. With tools such as
these it is easy to imagine a wonderful notetaking environment.  The DOS
version of ASK SAM is even more powerful.  It seems to contain a
programming language that people use to create entire applications.  I use
the windows version as a very simple and inelegant text/database.

The PIMs (Personal Information Management programs) are related to the
textbase concept.  The most simple of these with full boolean search and
import/export facilities is the now discontinued Broederband DOS program
called MemoryMate.  For Windows systems probably nothing surpasses the
textbase PIM called INFO SELECT (an improved version of TORNADO NOTES).
Whereas most PIMS try to replicate the tools needed for a salesman:
datebook, contact list, etc. INFO SELECT provides these tools as a subset
of its textbase, so all information entered, be it entered into a form or
into free text can be retrieved by its incredibly fast query engine that
shows a graphic hit-list.  Unlike other textbase systems, INFO SELECT uses
the outline as its main organizational metaphor as well as the unique
document as its data unit metaphor.  Each document can be hierarchically
connected to others, but also can be tagged by a variety of user-defined
markers.  These tags can unite documents that appear anywhere.

These are the main ones with which I am familiar.  There is also ZyIndex,
which starts with native wordprocessing documents, keeps them in their
original files, but indexes them and provides tools for outputing their
content.  Some simple databases, such as Q&A are also good for notetaking
because they permit variable length fielding, but in general the windows
text-base systems are more adaptable and useful.
--

Robert A. Baron
Museum Computer Consultant