From:
"Megan W. Hill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 1996 02:49:00 -0800
Just recently, I read last months Art in America. I became intrigued
with the story of Jay DeFeo's painting of The Rose and the attempts in
San Francisco to restore its quickly deteriorating state. I am curious
to hear object conservators' thought and opinions on the conservation of
these modern materials. For example, I've heard of artists using
materials that are not meant to be archival and last forever (house
paints, etc.). Once an artwork is passed into the hands of the museum,
how are conservators dealing with this issue - or is this more of an
ethical question as to whether or not they SHOULD be dealt with??
I cannot seem to get my hands on any articles or references on the topic
of modern material conservation. Any recommendation on where to find
more information would be greatly appreciated. You may mail directly to
me as this topic may be irrelevant to others on the list.
Thank you!

Megan Weiler-Hill
Museum Studies Graduate Student