From:
Robin Panza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 11:44:19 -5
>Could the replies show Agassiz in  phonetic spelling:

I was taught two ways (sorry!):  AH guh see   and   ah GAHSS ee

The former is how I first learned it, and the latter was what my pronunciation
was corrected to (by a forgotten authority).  At the time of the correction, I
had reason to trust the correction, and I have pronounced it the latter way
ever since.

Robin Panza                           [log in to unmask]
Section of Birds
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh  PA  15213
USA