From:
bobbittc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 1996 13:20:37 -0500
   At the Monroe County Historical Museum I always tried to meet school
tours at the bus and point out some interesting features of the grounds
and exterior of the former Carnegie library, which was built in 1917.
   Before going in, I would ask why the limestone steps are cupped
instead of being flat. This is especially noticeable after a rain when
the water pools on the steps.  The question usually yields several
creative answers; the one I'm after is that over the decades people's
shoes have worn away some of the stone. This is why museum visitors
should touch with their eyes instead of their fingers, Except in one room
where we Want you to touch and try out everything.
   Chris Bobbitt, Formerly Curator, Monroe Co. Museum, Bloomington, IN