From:
Director <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 1996 08:30:58 -42000
Re "Bob Vila".  I must say that I am somewhat surprised at the "tone" of
those offended that the good Mr. Vila had the nerve to touch anything, or
horror of horrors that a "curator" might have let him.  The problem with many
house museums is that they are sterile and that they discourage "learning"
through interaction.  Now of course if everyone were to touch everything,
there would be little left.  We have a large selection of objects in our over
forty "environments" that are "touchable."  Obviously there are also some
that are not.  But if we had a visitor who might come once in a century, and
would do immeasureable good, I am not certain that I wouldn't encourage the
occassional touch as well.

What astounded me most as a Canadian, was the obvious lack of repair to what
are some of the greatest historical icons of America.  Looking carefully at
the buildings and their furnishings (with the critical restoration eye) I
would say that there is real danger that some might not last another
generation.  This saddened me more that Mr. Vila's fingers.

Dr. Frits Pannekoek
Director
Historic Sites Service
Government of Alberta