Thu, 8 Feb 1996 18:29:16 -0800
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Adrienne DeArmas
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> >Unless absolutely necessary, why label the object at all when a properly
> >attached non-acidic tag will serve the purpose?

I manage a collection of 80,000 objects collected during the past 50
years. There are scores of items without numbers on them and the tags are
long gone -- removed for exhibit, during moves to new buildings, and who
knows why! The point is that they are now "unknown items" without
provenance or the ability to deaccession them because we don't know their
history. I strongly recommend that museums label their artifacts. Your
curatorial folks in the decades to come will appreciate it.

Mary Ames Sheret,
Collections Manager
Southern Oregon Historical Society