From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 18:11:54 EDT
My turn. So how is a 3 month internship different from a three month semester?
As a full time student, I easily devoted 40 hours per week to studying. As a
summer intern I devoted the same amount of time to my unpaid internship. Any job
I held was on top of the studying/internship. Certainly the museum that
sponsored my internship gave as much as it got. Someone had to train and
supervise the interns and that someone couldn't perform her regular duties while
she supervised us. Every catalog card we typed or filed needed to be checked by
a staff member. The whole project was closer to a classroom experience than a
job. The experience also confirmed that I had found my "calling" and I wanted to
work in a museum.

My unpaid full-time internship did not lead to a job at that institution. I
landed a part-time job 1500 miles away. So I took a job waitressing and
bartending. I used to joke that bartending supported my museum hobby. Then I
realized that I needed formal training in museum studies above and beyond my MA
in Anthropology. So in addition to both jobs, I returned to school--in a city 75
miles away. (what a boring commute.) I paid my rent myself, fed myself and
clothed myself. Then there was the gas to drive to class.

I now have a great full-time, well compensated, benefits included, JOB. I busted
my ass to get the best possible training and learn as much as I could about all
aspects of my chosen profession. So I had to pay for a lot of it myself. So
what? "Ya gotta spend money to make money" and you have to take risks. I
recognized at the start that no one would hand me that perfect job. That's how
the real world works. (Unless you're a Harvard Lawyer graduating at the top of
your class)

Today, I am fortunate that my institution can pay a small stipend to interns and
we recruit them from the local college. In a good semester, the college is able
to offset 75 or 80 per cent of the intern's wage. The student still has to find
housing (and food.) My best interns have exhibited strong personal initiative.
Those students are destined to be leaders in the field.

Gutenkauf
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken"

And as usual, My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of any institution
with which I am affiliated