From:
Jim Angus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 09:08:17 -0800
That's interesting to hear.  I just finished redesigning the site so that
all of the information is available for visitor's using other browsers as
well.  At this point, our use of frames is limited to providing a
stationary indexing feature at the bottom of the entry point to our
homepage.  Frames are used only when searching for information.  I'll have
to see if I get any negative input.

Thanks for the input.

>>We've revised our homepage to make use of the newest html innovation -
>>"frames".
>>
>>I would appreciate any comments.
>>
>>http://www.lam.mus.ca.us/lacmnh
>
>>Jim Angus
>>Information Technology and Hypermedia Programs
>>Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
>

>Jim,
>
>I have not yet visited your web site, but I have this caution regarding the
>use of frames.
>
>They can greatly reduce the amount of dynamic information on the screen.
>This forces the viewer to scroll needlessly.
>
>Notice on the Netscape site, how after using frames, they later added a
>button to allowed the viewer to turn the frames off.  NOW, the default is
>frames off; you need to press the button to turn frames on.
>
>That's got to tell us something about the visitor feedback they must have
>received.
>
>/Fred
>

>Fredric J. Raab
>Interactive Media for Museums
>Cambridge, MA, USA
>http://www.tiac.net/users/fraab

Jim Angus
Information Technology and Hypermedia Programs
900 Exposition Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA  90007

voice:  213/744-3317
fax:    213/746-2999