Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Henry Grunder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 13:51:21 EST
"Leave it alone," I said to myself. "If you haven't already
learned that there is nothing in it but lumps for you, to tell
people what they would rather not hear, them you deserve them
(lumps). And you are not even a 'museum professional.'"
But - ever the rash and foolhardy idealist - here goes. Museum
workers call themselves "professionals" and want others to see
them thus as well. Better money is no small part of it. What
some of them may either not realize or not want to come to
grips with, is that one of the prices paid by occupational
groups society generally recognizes as "professional" and
rewards accordingly is "gatekeeping." Not just everyone can
call themselves an "xxx," hang out a shingle calling themselves
such, and go to work. Consider the medical speciality of
surgery (and there is constant tension between doctors and
nurses over just this): to be recognized as a basic doctor it
is necessary to go through a rigorous training program. To be a
surgeon requires yet more training, and an elaborate sequence
of hoops called "board certification." It is not enough to just
profess an interest in subcutaneous tissue.
There are lots of people working in hospitals - a very
concentrated and focused venue of medicine, just as a museum
(or at least a major one) is a such a venue for "museum." If
there is truly to be such a societally-recognised category as
"museum professional," there has to be something very simple
and readily comprehended by all, that separates, stratifies,
distinguishes, those who are from those who are not, even
though they all work in ther same venue. One side effect of
rigorous and systematic training has been the creation of and
reliance on a body of professional literature. NJM, JAMA, etc.,
report not merely "news," but also research. Anyone may read
them, some outsiders may actually understand them, but (it is
assumed) _doctors_ use them in their work. I certainly would
not entrust my bypass to someone who started work in a hospital
as a volunteer and gradually worked up to Chief of Thoracic
Surgery. Nor would I do so to someone who has another (more
important?) job, and just does surgery on the side.
As I said, I am not a museum professional. I don't even work in
one. (But Q-is there a sharp boundary between "museum" and some
other organizational types?) My doctorate is in social sciences,
where such social psychology issues as "organizations" and
"professionalism" are studied.

According to Ivy Strickler: