From:
Dick Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 18:15:44 -0900
Chris Geist said:

>  Ever since this thread began I've been wondering about
>one of the key words mentioned in the original notice.
>The position was listed as "full-time term" at a salary
>of $15,000.  We've essentially all been assuming that the
>$15,000 was an annual salary.  But the word "term" might
>indicate something else.  Is it possible that the term is
>nine months? Six?  Perhaps I'm reading too much into this,
>but in academia a term appointment is not necessarily a
>12-month appointment.  Is there anyone who might clarify?

In the Federal government (U.S. that is, I've got to
remember this is an international group), TERM and TEMPORARY
are two types of temporary appointments. (You are
"appointed" to a Federal job). TEMPORARY refers to an
appointment that lasts no more than one year which can be
extended to last for no longer than two years total. TERM
refers to an appointment that is initially for one to four
years and can be extended to last for no longer than four
years total. Benefits (perks) for a TERM position are
similar to those for a permanent position. Benefits for a
TEMPORARY position are significantly less.

Dick Morris
Bureaucrat by trade,
Museum Volunteer by choice