From:
HNEEDHAM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 1996 07:40:26 +0000
Eileen raises an interesting point - how SHOULD the Web be cited, especially
since WEB sites change frequently?

My feeling is that information on WWW sites (or any other kind of Internet
database) is not dissimilar from information contained in newspapers or
interviews. One needs to be able to provide sufficient citation to enable
someone to find the source item.

If it were a newspaper article, we might cite it as:

Smith, John "How to Cite the Web", Ottawa (Ontario) Journal, Jan.27, 1996 (wish
my email system let me use the appropriate underlining, etc.)

If an interview, we might cite it as:

Smith, Mary, interview with John Smith, Jan. 27, 1996.

For information obtained from a WWW site, I would be inclined to do something
like this:

"Zapping Cavities", Canadian Museum of Dentistry,
http://www.canmus.dent.ca/cavity.html, Jan.27, 1996

Wot think ye?

harry Needham
CWM